Cold Food.


The days are getting hotter and hotter around here. The other night, in fact, we had to turn on our A/C for the first time, to get rid of some of the humidity in the air so that we could sleep. I didn't think it was that bad until I noticed that the cover of a book I had laying on the table had curled right up, and that my glass of water had a small lake of condensation underneath it. Last year, I don't think we turned the A/C on until July, so we might be in for a HOT one. Or maybe we had a cooler winter, and now our bodies are having trouble adjusting. I don't know. I just know that my coconut oil has liquified, I don't like wearing long pants anymore, and my pashmina collection has retired for the season.

At this time of year, my diet changes drastically. I think most people experience that longing in the spring/early summer for fresh fruits, vegetables - lots of salads and icy cold drinks. I never get bored of fresh, cold meals when the weather is warm. Plus...they tend to be super easy. This, in itself, makes them awesome. My ideal summer diet would consist of sushi, salads, fruit and smoothies. Maybe some prosciutto and melon...because that is delicious. Or some antipasti - olives, cold grilled vegetables...mmmmmm.
For the past few weeks, we have not been eating very well. Between being busy, overly social (for us), and having guests, there have been a lot of restaurant meals. As a result, I feel like I'm retaining 10 pounds of water right now (I'm probably not that far off) and with our wedding almost exactly 3 months away, it's time to get down to business in the eating healthy department. I would hate to wake up on my wedding day having a proverbial "fat day". THAT is the worst.

Tonight, we got home late, talked about doing our taxes (we have yet to start) and forgot that, again, we hadn't planned our dinner and before we knew it, it was 8:30 and we were still looking at each other, willing the other to come up with some genius, quick, delicious, healthy, brilliant meal idea. Nothing. However, a quick trip to the store and a few dollars later, we each found ourselves with a healthy serving of fresh, homemade guacamole, a stack of "dippers" (chips for him, celery for me), some jalapenos for the side and a couple of chopped mangos waiting for us in the freezer. I love frozen fruit.

Delicious, simple, filling, healthy, satisfying. I am back on the summer food train for sure.


If you have never made guacamole...shame on you. It's the easiest thing ever:


- mash an avocado, or two, or four, up in a bowl.
- add the juice of a couple of limes (maybe only one if you're using one avocado)
- add a diced tomato
- add 1/2 an onion, finely chopped
- add a dash of cumin
- add as much or as little cilantro as you want (fresh, chopped)
- add a sprinkle of sea salt

Done. I added a sprinkle of kelp granules to mine, just for a little extra greens in my otherwise nutritionally lacklustre day.
Delish.

0 comments:

Post a Comment