Unsolicited Product Endorsement: Vegan Food, courtesy of Veganomicon.

I'm all for trying new things, and I'm also constantly on the lookout for new cookbooks to keep me interested in cooking and all things kitchen-related. This usually works, though some work better than others.

Last December, I purchased a copy of Veganomicon. I bought it based on Amazon reviews (five stars, across the board), and because I was looking for more vegetable-based entrées. I ordered it through a local bookstore and it arrived a week later, hot off the press. Apparently, the vegan crowd was all over it once it was released and it's been tough to get your paws on ever since...though I think it's now been printed again and you can probably find it easily. Kurt was a bit standoffish at first...he had no love for the Veganomicon. But I decided to dive right into it and try and wow him with vegan goodness. And all I can say is...


Wow.
I have never been more impressed with the results of my cooking. One recipe in particular, chickpea cutlets, has become a staple in our weekly diet and I have it memorized. The cutlets, made out of crushed chickpeas, breadcrumbs and vital wheat gluten (sorry H, though I'm sure the recipe could be modified), are super easy to make, and are one of Kurt's new favorite things. Mine too. Topped with a bit of local habanero jam - or anything, really - they are a fantastic new face for the space on your plate formerly inhabited by meat. Other faves are the samosa-stuffed baked potatoes and the corn, edamame and sesame salad. I am in love.

Highly, highly, highly recommended. It's huge (reminds me of my grade 8 science text book, actually), full of tips and extra info about different ingredients, and it's really fun to read. The author is a genius and I'm currently tracking down her previous two cookbooks, Vegan With a Venegeance and Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. Yummmmmmm.

5 comments:

Heather Anne said...

Mmmm. Sounds delish. I like the chickpea patties - they probably could be made to be H friendly. Perhaps this could be a way to further oust the beef from our diets (not giving up chicken or turkey..ever).

Kristin. said...

Oh they could totally be modified...and they're well worth it. The flavor comes from soy sauce, thyme, spicy paprika, rubbed sage, lemon zest and garlic. DE-lish.

Heather Anne said...

Can you send me the recipe??

Katie said...

I'll tke that recipe too if you're sending it..! You may have just started a new things for me.. I was vegan-cautious but now I might venture forth.

Heather Anne said...

I'm all for being a vegan...with the edition of meat.

Post a Comment