Situation resolved?

OK, she's been rehired. Lucky gal. Though, if I were her, I would seriously rethink my choice of employer.

One of my favorite things about reading the Globe & Mail online is scanning the readers comments to the posted articles. While they don't appear on every article (they tend to leave that feature out of articles that could become extremely controversial), articles like the one linked in my post below offer complete comment pandemonium. Right wing, left wing, sympathizers, attackers...everyone has something to say. Hey...I even blogged about it.

Some comments from this article:

*** from Canada writes: This morning was be my last tim hortons visit.I havent been to subway in about 5 yrs since they screwed me on my points card. (ha!)

*** from Canada writes: Time to bring in the hard nosed Chinese grandfather from the Tim's commercial - he'll set these employees straight!

*** from Canada writes: I'm with the group that suspects that there is more to this story than Canadian Press sees fit to report. A news piece that starts off by describing one of our great national delicacies as ' a 16 cent blob of fried dough' is obviously slanted. Just to add more fat to the fire: I hate going into establishments when mothers-behind-the counter are dealing with mothers-in-front-of-the-counter. You'd think we all the entire day to buy our coffees!

and my favorite...

*** from France writes: Charge that reprobate child as accomplice to theft under 5,000$ and put that little menace behind bars... we have to keep our streets clean from future thieves... SOCIETY MUST BE PURE! What a truly Canadian story to read when you are in another country, I'm waiting for the made for CBC movie 'Timbits of Compassion'...


Poor Tim must be rolling in his grave. It's not the management that should be fired, it's their PR staff. Scanning the (now 468) comments to this article in the Globe, it appears as though a lot of people will be taking their business elsewhere, at least temporarily. What a nice day this is for Starbucks!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

In response to the comment from France, I hardly think that people who are regular Timmies customers would be taking their business to Starbucks. I was under the impression, from listening to members of these two groups of consumers here at the office, that they were sworn enemies.

EAP

Anonymous said...

I just reread your blog and realized that it wasn't Mr. or Mrs. France who made that observation, it was you, Kris.

EAP

Anonymous said...

EAP! Kris! This feels like any old Friday at the Ranch...circa 2003. I miss those days.

I'll have a caesar, please. No tabasco. That stuff is hotter thana witch's ass.

Anonymous said...

Speaking of which, Shan, I should soon be finished my physiotherapy on late Friday afternoons, which means that I'll be firing up the FDAW again.

Now that you're a working stiff, does this mean you'll be able to come to FDAW more frequently? Hell, Kris managed to make it to an FDAW that I convened in NYC!

EAP

Kristin. said...

EAP - the Starbucks reference was actually in response to the comments on the G&M's article. I was as surprised as you to see so many comments from alleged Timmy's worshippers threatening to move shop to Starbucks, Second Cup and something called Country Style (?). Anyways, I'm sure it will be short-lived and they'll be back in line at Timmy's within a week.

I just realized that my trip to Ottawa won't span a Friday...at least not in time for a FDAW. Maybe we could schedule a special MDAW or TDAW??

Anonymous said...

Maybe we could tie it in with pho at phive?

(The misspelled phive is gonna drive EAP nuts! Ha.)

Anonymous said...

I hate to disappoint you, Shan, but I have no objection to humourous, alliterative misspellings in informal communications. Ha!

Kris: You've never heard of Country Style Doughnuts? They were in the deep fried dough business when Tim Horton was just a defenceman for the Toronto Maple Leafs.

EAP

Kristin. said...

Mmmm...deep fried dough. Good times. Never heard of them, though. Apparently, they also make a mean cup of coffee.

Post a Comment