Whiner.

My post a few days ago about my employment situation was a bit whiney. I'm sorry. I guess I was in a ranty kind of place and needed to vent somewhere, so took it all out on my poor little blog. I was going to just let it go and concentrate on doing the best I could for the time being, but I've scrapped that and I'm going for the jugular. I feel better already, though a tad nervous.

As an aside, I finally finished Pillars of the Earth and so don't have to lug it around with me anymore. As great a read as it was, even the cheaper paper was a royal pain the ass to carry around and it even got difficult to hold for long periods of time without some sort of supportive system like a pillow or my folded jacket. Still, I loved it. Next up is The Omnivore's Dilemma which I've heard and read great things about. I'm only a few chapters in...and I know a lot more about corn than I ever thought I would (or cared to), but it's really interesting.

Tomorrow night, we start an outdoor volleyball league which I *think* may be more about the post-volleyball beer than the game itself, which may actually be an OK thing, since I'm no star on the volleyball court. I blame it on not being tall enough, but that's a load of crap. I just hate the bruises. Kurt hasn't played since high school, so I don't know what we're going to bring to the table besides our good looks, but at least that's something.

Aaaaand...

I made the most amazing hummus yesterday. I love hummus and just bought yet another vegan cookbook because it had a whole chapter on different ways to make it. I don't know what it is about vegans, but their cookbooks are fantastic. Must be because their diets are so limited that they're forced into high levels of creativity. Either way, my latest addition, Eat, Drink & Be Vegan, has already surpassed my expectations AND...it's written by a B.C. based vegan chef. Of course. She's amazing. The recipes are very Rebar-ish...quite different, lots of variations and ethnic influences...I love it already.

I think I can get away with posting the recipe because I actually found it on the web before buying the book...so here it is, my way.

Chipotle Lime Two-Bean Hummus

1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
2 tbsp. olive oil
4 tbsp. lime juice (or more, to taste)
1 med. clove garlic, sliced
1/8 tsp. allspice
1/2 tsp. sea salt
2 tsp. chipotle paste*
1 tsp. grated lime zest
1/4 c. cilantro leaves, chopped

Throw everything except the lime zest and cilantro leaves into a food processor** and process until smooth. Add water if the consistency is thicker than you want and scrape down the sides often to ensure that everything is blended. Add the lime zest and cilantro leaves and pulse until blended.

...and that's it.

Delicious with pita, or celery, or anything you want to smear hummus on. Very healthy too. :-)

*On the expert advice of Rebar, we stocked up on cans of chipotles canned in adobo sauce. You can find them in specialty stores, or in well-stocked grocery stores. We empty the can into a food processor or blender and purée it into chipotle paste, which we use in everything. EVERYTHING. It's a seriously handy paste. Though this recipe called for less chipotle than that, we like things hot, so put in 2 tsp., which gave it the perfect amount of kick.

**Since I STILL don't own a food processor (yet have coveted one for years), I did all this with a $30 hand blender in a bowl and it worked out great.

0 comments:

Post a Comment