July 16: Detox.



I'm not going to lie to you...I've been doing a bit of cooking again. Nothing crazy...nothing fancy...but my stove HAS been used three times this week, which is probably more than it was used in May and June combined.

Last night's meal was particularly scrumptious. It was also anti-inflammatory and full of antioxidants, protein and healthy fats. And, most importantly, it tasted good. Because if it tastes like shit, why would the rest of that matter?

On my lunch yesterday, I walked down to the most overpriced of the overpriced grocery stores and splurged on organic salmon filets. Nice and local...from the waters of Scotland to the Rock. Seriously? But, I suppose salmon aren't that into the local waters...probably too many of those nasty sea slugs we saw earlier this week and the salmon are a sophisticated fish. I can't see them mingling with the riff raff. Anyways, the butcher (fish monger) cleverly didn't post the price, so I had a minor heart attack when he handed me the wrapped package and it said $44. When I asked for four portions. Seriously...I almost handed it back. But I sucked it up, took it home and found out that he had chopped the filets pretty large, and that I could halve them easily, meaning that I got 8 servings for $44, which works out to what...$5-something apiece? For gorgeous organic salmon? In actual fact, I think I might have scored.

I wanted to keep it pretty simple because when it comes to good ingredients, the last thing you want to do is eff them up. I removed the skin, gave them a few quick sprays of olive oil from the Misto, a quick grind of sea salt and black pepper and sprinkled chopped garlic over them before putting them under the broiler. 8 minutes later, I was arranging the filets next to a big mountain of kale, sauteed with olive oil, onion and garlic, and a fresh tomato, and squeezing fresh lemon all over the whole plate.

YUM.

0 comments:

Post a Comment